Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Simple, Compound, and Complex Sentences

This task connects with the Zoom lesson from Wednesday (4/22)

Identify the following sentences as simple, compound, or complex

1.) I wanted to invite her to my birthday party, but I didn't know her address.

2.) I am going to put orange or pink frosting on her cupcake since those are her favorite colors.

3.)  Don't forget to pack a toothbrush and toothpaste.

4.) Reagan was dreading the test, yet she wanted to get it over with.

5.) My voice was shaking when it was my turn to speak.

6.) Collin practices baseball for thirty minutes everyday.

7.) While my brother went into the post office, I read my novel in the van.


Compound Sentences:
-A sentence consisting of two independent clauses
-Often joined by a coordinating conjunction         For, And, Nor, But, Or, Yet, So

Form a compound sentence using these two independent clauses. 


1. Sarah’s throat really hurt. She didn’t sing.

2. My piano lesson is on Tuesday. My saxophone lesson is on Thursday.

3. I am extremely tired. I am too excited to sleep.

4. Grandma slipped on the icy sidewalk. She broke her wrist.


Complex Sentences
-A sentence consisting of an independent clause and a dependent clause
- Subordinating conjunctions can often be found in complex sentences.
after, although, as, as long as, as soon as, because, before, even though, if, now that, since, though, unless, until, when, whenever, while, and where.


Form a complex sentence using these two simple sentences.

1. Jamal had a headache. He still played the entire baseball game.


2. Jaren studied for two hours. He knew the test would be challenging.

3. We ate at Broadway Pizza. I would rather have gone to Mellow Mushroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment